March, I have joined the Spring For Cotton sew-a-long hosted by the lovely and talented (not to mention always inspirational) Rochelle New of the blog Lucky Lucille. Although I have hit a few bumps in the road, I have finally finished the 2 projects that I had set out to make.
This is the pattern I purchased from Joann's (at 50% off) and I planned on (and mostly succeeded) in making both view B and D. I did not realize that both tops had called for a side zipper closure when I was buying my supplies. You can imagine my surprise (anger and frustration) when I got to that part of the directions. WHAT?!?! Oh you have to be kidding me? So here is my first 'accidental' alteration to the pattern, I did not put zippers into my tops. Thanks to having boobs that are a few sizes bigger than the rest of my body and sewing patterns being based on boob measurements (among other measurements) my shirts fit wonderfully in the chest area but a bit too big in most other areas. Thanks to the little bits of extra room, I am able to fit both tops over my head and on without having the opening on the side. Although I will say, with the lack of stretch in the fabric it is best to get dressed before doing hair and make up. Putting these on or taking them off can sure mess up a good do and you are risking getting lipstick on the neck. Oh, first world problems.
The extra room in the body of the tops also means that I'll be wearing both tops with a belt to help it not feel like I'm wearing a potato sack. But I'm ok with that. Especially when I found this perfectly matching belt at Value Village for $3.
Just ignore the tea bags I'm holding in my hand in a few of these pics. I had a little disagreement with my curling iron earlier in the day and burned the crap out of my finger. Pinterest told me that cool tea bags can help ease the pain. Thanks Pinterest, it totally helped and it was much easier to do my makeup while holding tea bags as opposed to the giant ice pack I was using at first. By the way, I am not ambidextrous. Trying to put my makeup on with my left hand was a learning experience. Yes, I learned that I AM NOT AMBIDEXTROUS.
Another 'accidental' alteration that I made to both tops was the complete omission of all of the details that required me making little ties out of the fabric. I absolutely hate cutting those tiny little strips of fabric and trying to sew them close enough to the fabric edges so that I can actually turn them right side out, but not too damn close to the edge or the fabric unravels and it's all shot to hell. Instead, I used matching ribbon on the redish/orange one for the button loops. On the green one, I didn't do the sleeve/neck bows and for the back closer (that I forgot to take a picture of) I used a hook and eye closure. BAMN, take that stupid little fabric strips, I don't need you.
I had a blast participating in the sew-a-long. Considering I usually only sew skirts, this was a wonderful opportunity to break out of my comfort zone and try something new. You can see more of the amazing creations of the Spring for Cotton Sew-a-long over at the Flickr Group. Talk about some amazing inspiration for future sewing projects. There are some seriously talented seamstresses out there.
It's finals week for me, so I need to get back to the studying. It's been a long semester and I'm super excited that it is almost over and I will have more time for creating and blogging...... Oh, wait, I'm taking summer classes. DARN IT!!