Pages

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Vintage Inspired Knitted Head Wrap

Vintage head wrap
 
A Few weeks ago, I had wrote about needing to find an simple, but interesting pattern that I could work on those evenings when I am enjoying a glass (or 3) of wine.  It was my need for a drunk knitting project.  Someone asked me to share the pattern, so here goes. 
 
This head wrap is made from a basic knitted triangle that is then folded and sewn together to create the shape.  Like when you are tying  a bandana around your head, there are folds of fabric that must be tucked in.  The same is true for this head wrap, as I wanted it to have the same feel as a bandana only in knitted form.  The green one in the top pic has a little bow on the top.  I do not include instructions for the bow.  I recommend doing  the bow in  the same manor as the bow in my Bandana Bow Tie
 
For the green one, I used Dream in Color's sock weight yarn, this worked very well due to the amount of elasticity in the yarn.  For the turquoise one down below, I used Knit Picks' Stroll.  Although I prefer the Knit Picks for such things as sweaters and socks as the yarn holds up over time better, I prefer the Dream in Color yarn for this pattern.  It has far more elasticity and therefor works better in a pattern that needs a bit of stretch to it.  Keep this in mind when choosing your yarn.  Any fingering (sock or baby) weight yarn will do, but yarn with some stretch too it will work best.  Also, I used US sz 6 (4mm) needles.  You can us a different size needle as long as you like the fabric that it creates.  For this pattern, you keep knitting until the triangle measures the right size, so gauge is not important.  
 
To make triangle, knit as followed:
 
Make slip knot for 1st stitch.
Row 1) kfbf *(creating 3 stitches)
2) Purl all stitches
3) K1, RLI, LLI, K1, RLI, LLI, K1 (7 St)
4) Purl
5) K1, M1, K2, M1, PM, K1, K2, M1, K1 (the marker is placed before the center stitch to remind you to increase before and after that center stitch.) (11st)
6) Purl
7)K1, M1, K to marker, M1, SM, K1, M1, Knit to last St, M1, K1 (15st)
8)Purl
9) Repeat row 7
10) Knit (Up until now you've purled every even row, this row being knit creates the decorative row.  You will do this every 8th row.
Rows 11-17) Repeat rows 7&8
Row 18) Knit
 
Continue to repeated these last 8 rows increasing 4 stitches on every other row and making a knit row on the "purl side" every 8th row until the long edge of the triangle fits around your head with about 1-11/2 inches negative ease.  My head is 21 inches around, so I kept knitting until the long edge was about 19 1/2 inches. Cast off all stitches, It should look something like this.
Vintage head wrap
 
 
Now flip it over and take the outer tips of the triangle and bring them up to the center point.
 
 
Vintage head wrap DIY
 
Now sew those top seams together and it'll make a funny little shaped wrap that doesn't look at all like a hat or head wrap, but it is.
 
Vintage head wrap DIY
 
That center point is the top where you would (if you want) add the bow.  You may need to lightly block it.  The green one slipped off my head WAY too easy so I lightly blocked it (used a spray bottle to wet it and let it dry) now I love the way it fits.  Although, you will need bobby pins to keep it in.  Just like with most bandanas or wraps.  The turquoise one didn't need blocking.
 
Vintage Head Wrap DIY
 
Here it is on my Styrofoam head with those little tips tucked in.
 
I wish I had some great pictures to show you of me modeling my hear wraps.  Unfortunately, my personal photographer (my boyfriend) has started working 2 jobs now and I hardly ever get to see him.  As much as I'd love to insist that he take endless pictures of me when he gets home at 11pm after being gone since 8am, I don't think it would be good for our relationship.  Oh well, I'll tackle him on his 1 day off a week, but that isn't for a few more days. 
 
This pattern was born out of a desire for a vintage inspired knit that was simple enough to knit while drinking.  Do you have any patterns that might fit that bill?  I have another idea for a pattern in mind as well.  It that one turns out well, I'll be sharing it with you in the future. 
 
Until next time, what ever your craft may be, find some time to enjoy it.
 
XOXO,
Cherry
 
Knitting Abbreviations:
K1 - Knit 1
M1 - Make 1 stitch (pick up the bar in between the stitches and knit into the BACK of it)
LLI - Left Leaning increase (Pick up and knit into the stitch 2 rows below on the right needle)
RLI - Right Leaning increase (Pick up and knit into the stitch below the one on the left needle)
PM - Place Marker
SM - Slip Marker
 
 





2 comments:

  1. Love, love, super love!!! These knit headwraps are just as cute, stylish and timelessly pretty as can be. I love the green one in particular. I'm not sure if it's because I have verdant eyes or just because I love the colour in general, but I frequently find myself drawn towards green hats, scarves, wraps and other things that are sported on one's head. Fabulous work on both of these beauties, dear gal!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this design! I especially love the green one, the yarn works so perfectly with the pattern. These look like they would be so much fun to knit up as a quick, fun project too. I know how you feel with the boyfriend right now, I'm in the same boat, except I lose mine to long business trips.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10