Pages

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Kiri Shawl

She Knits in Pearls Kiri Shawl

Here is my lovely Mother modeling the Kiri Shawl that I made for her for Christmas.  Can you see the family resemblance?  So often I am told how much I look like my mother and I love it.  She often reminds me of a time when I was just a little girl, sitting on the bathroom counter watching her put on her makeup.  I would intently watch her and marvel in her beauty and tell her how much I wanted to be as beautiful as her when I grew up.  Well, I got my wish, and I couldn't be happier.

I've often said that I am a very selfish knitter.  When I spend so much time and energy making something beautiful, I often want to keep it for myself.  However, if there was ever a person who is worthy of such time and dedication, it is my mother.  She is a talented knitter herself, and knows and appreciates all the love that goes into any handmade gifts.  She also loves lace shawls and although I really enjoy making them, I don't usually wear them.  It's a knitting match made in heaven. 


She Knits in Pearls Kiri Shawl
This is more true to the color
The Kiri Shawl is a lovely free pattern on Ravelry by Polly Outhwaite.  A gorgeous, lacey triangular shawl that would work with a variety of yarns and can be made to what ever size you'd like.  I chose a 2ply lace weight yarn by Jojoland yarns called Consonance.  This is an amazingly soft and delicate 50% cashmere, 50% silk yarn that knit up beautifully.  I bought 2 skeins of it (at 40% off, does it get any better than that?) and ended up using just a little of the second one.  I don't know what I'll do with the rest of the yarn yet, but you can guarantee that I'll be using every inch of this stuff.  It's that lovely.

She Knits in Pearls Kiri Shawl

Here, Cupcake and I are contemplating weather or not I can get 2 more rows out of the tiny little bit of yarn that is left there.  I did not.  As the rows get larger and larger, they take a surprising amount of yarn and I was forced to add the second skein in for the last row and cast off row.  Thank goodness I had gotten that second skein, which I couldn't have done if it weren't on sale. 

She Knits in Pearls Kiri Shawl

Blocking this sucker was an absolute bitch.  Some of the points came out very nicely and others I couldn't pull out well at all.  Things might have gone more smoothly if I could have used my blocking wires, but unfortunately they have been packed away.  They are 'some where safe', which means they I have no idea where the hell they are.  So, I did the best I could with what I have.  Meaning lots of sewing pins on a towel, on my living room floor.

She Knits in Pearls Kiri Shawl

See what I mean about the points?  It's not perfect, but when worn, you can't see all the little imperfections.  From this point, it was just a matter of keeping Cupcake from running over it.  Of course, this was the point where she thought a round of 'fetch the squeaky toy' was absolutely imperative. 

This wraps up the gift knitting and I am now back to knitting for myself.  I'm already working on  a spring cardigan and am actually almost done with it.  I look forward to sharing it soon.  Even if spring is a long way off.  Maybe it's wishful knitting to be working on a project for warmer weather when the temperatures are in the -40 below region.  I leave you with a picture of what -42 degrees looks like here in Alaska. 

She Knits in Pearls

Looks like a perfect day to snuggle under a blanket with Cupcake, my knitting and a hot cup of tea.  Which is exactly what I did.  Stay warm, my friends.

 XOXO,
Cherry

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10