Pages

Monday, February 29, 2016

40's College Life

She Knits in Pearls - 40's college life

I may not be attending college in the 1940's but I am attending college in MY 40's.  Yes, this 40 year old is in college.  I've mentioned it a few times before that I am drowning in homework so it's not really new news but I finally got some pictures of me attending class and wearing some of my best 40's inspired me-made cloths and accessories.
She Knits in Pearls - 40's college life

I bought this fabric last fall and finally (4 months later) I was able to turn it in to this warm, vintage inspired, pleated skirt.  Plaid is a great print for pleating, having no pattern to go by, I was able to line up perfectly equal pleats by using the lines in the pattern.  Again with another no-pattern skirt.  I don't know what my aversion to using patterns is but I have always been better at visualizing what I want to make and figuring out a way to do it on my own.  This used to drive my mom crazy.  I once made a pair of black lace baggy pants that I would wear over leggings using a pair of pajama pants as a template.  Damn, I wish I still had those pants.  Anyways, for the most part, I usually stick to elastic waste skirts for comfort and easy but I wanted to try something a little different.  Plus, I really need practice putting in zippers.  After watching 10ish Youtube videos, I think I'm getting much better.  I'm looking forward to making more, and more, and (you know me) more. 
 
She Knits in Pearls - 40's College Life
 
I paired my new skirt with a simple thrifted cashmere top.  It had a few tiny holes in it when I got it but with a little needle and thread it's as good as new.  To complete the look, I accessorized it with a hand knit neckerchief,crocheted snood, and hand made dear brooch (part of my Halloween Costume).  This little bow scarf is an easy and simple pattern (and FREE) great for using up left over yarns and perfectly accessorizes any winter/fall outfit.  I've made 5 or 6 of them and could make a million more.......   After I do my homework.......
 
She Knits in Pearls - 40's College Life
 
I'm lucky to be attending classes with other students that are um, more mature, than your average 18 year old college students.  For the most part, we are all in our late 30's to early 50's and going back to school to try to make better lives for ourselves and our families.  I had a class last semester that was filled with mainly late teens and early 20somethings.  It was all I could do not to choke most of them with my string of pearls. I'm thankful to be surrounded with other people who are struggling to balance homework with making dinner, carpooling kids, family time, and other activities of adult life.  Although I don't have a job and school is my main focus, I still find it difficult to balance the tons and tons of school-work and classes with the activities that I enjoy and adult responsibilities.  My knitting is really suffering. 
She Knits in Pearls - 40's College Life
 
For the most part, I feel like I am completely loosing my mind.  But it will all be worth it in the end, when I have a job that I can physically do, that pays well enough that, in my off time, I can afford to do the  Until then, I will do the best I can and that is good enough.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10