Pages

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Lovely Lace Cardigan

Well, it's about time I got back to knitting posts. So here it is, my latest sweater. It's actually been done for a while now however I had a hell of a time getting some good pictures. For one reason or another, it just wasn't happening. I was either too busy when running out of the house or there was the time my hair, make up, and outfit were absolutely perfect and some A-hole (me) forgot the damn camera at home. Arg! So, without further delay, here she is....
Vintage Knits She Knits in Pearls
The pattern is called the Lauren Lace-Stitch Cardigan from the book Sweater Girls by Madeline Weston and Rita Taylor.
Sweater Girls She Knits in Pearls
I got this book last Christmas from my boyfriends Mom. Thanks Melissa! She knows I love knitting and all things vintage so she got me 2 books that feature sweater designs from vintage patterns or with a vintage feel to them. This is the first of many sweaters that I will be making from these books. This book has modern versions of patterns strait out of the 1930's, 40's, and 50's. Some of the patterns show the original pictures along with the modern version.
Sweater Girls She Knits in Pearls
I used Knit Picks Stroll, fingering weight yarn in Blue Topaz. This also was a Christmas gift from my Dad. He didn't exactly pick it out for me, he sent me a check for $50.00 and told me to spend it on something special that I wouldn't normally buy (like groceries or the electric bill) so I got this lovely turquoise color that I've been totally obsessed with lately. I've even gone so far as to redecorate my living room last spring in all turquoise and red accents and fabrics. Don't freak out too much, I didn't spend all $50 bucks on this yarn, I also got enough yarn for another sweater as well. That'll be a future post I'm sure.

The lace pattern in this particular sweater was a total bitch. It's only a 2 row lace pattern with the second row being purls but that first row sucks. The lace stitch consists of picking up 3 stitches at once like you are going to purl them all together, then you do, you purl them all together, don't take them off the needle, put the yarn to the back, go through the stitches again and knit them all together, and THEN switch the yarn to the front to purl them all together AGAIN. OH MY HELL, are you kidding me??? I damn near threw it across the room! I seriously thought of bagging the whole idea but just couldn't because by the time I got to the lace pattern I had already done a 76 rows of P1, K1 ribbing over 135 stitches on size 2 needles. I don't know if you can comprehend that if you're not a knitter but take my word for it, it's a crap ton of incredibly boring knitting on insanely small needles. Too much to just toss aside because some pesky lace stitch was trying it's hardest to get the better of me. Me against one tiny little lace stitch? Oh, I was determined to win this battle. Success!!! Take THAT crappy lace stitch, I ruled you!!!
VIntage Knits She Knits in Pearls
I finished the sweater off with some cute little white flower buttons from Jo-ann's. I'm really enjoying this cardigan, it's perfect for spring and summer outfits. It works great over tank tops and summer dresses. It provides moderate coverage and added warmth when there's a little breeze or a cloud that keeps creeping in front of the sun. However, with the open lace pattern, it's not too warm.

Until next time, darlings, live, love, and create!

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10