Pages

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Memorial Day Weekend

Well, our 3 day, Memorial weekend has come to a close and it is back to the normal daily grind.  Considering that I don't currently work, that statement might not mean much.  However, today is the first day of Summer Semester so I really am getting back to my normal grind as well.  Before I get ready to hit the books and find an apple for my teachers, I thought I'd share with you some photos of my Memorial Day weekend.
Alaska Veterans Memorial
Each Memorial Day Weekend, my man and I participate in the Alaska Vet's Motorcycle Club's Memorial Day Run.  It starts with a weekend camping trip in Trapper Creek, Alaska and on Sunday we ride from up to Mary's McKinley View Lodge at 134.5 mile Parks Highway.  There, we meet up with ALL the other Motorcyclists (150ish in total) and ride to The Alaska Veterans Memorial (mile 147 Parks Highway) for an amazing Memorial Ceremony. 
She Knits in Pearls
I'm not wearing riding gear in these first photos because I was driving a support vehicle down to Trapper Creek behind the small pack that my man was riding with.  Not only can my messed up back not handle the 4-5 hour ride down to Trapper Creek, but we also need support vehicles to carry gear and to be there in case of any accidents.
Memorial Day Mororcycle Run
Here I am at the Lodge, trying to get as many bikes in the background as I can and failing miserable.  It is seriously, an amazing experience to see so many motorcycles in one place, at one time.  All of whom are coming together to remember all those who have fought for our freedom. 
Memorial Day Motorcycle Run
This year I had the Honor of riding at the front of the pack in the "Diamond" carrying the Alaska Vet's MC's Battle Flag.  There is nothing more amazing than being in the front of a pack of 150 motorcycles, turning around to look behind you and seeing bikes for as far as the eye can see.
She Knits in Pearls with Lisa Murkowski
Senator Lisa Murkowski rides in with us each year to show her support.  She rides on the front bike, carrying the American flag.  I don't know much about her politics, but she was an amazingly nice and supportive woman.  We are honored to have her be a part of our ride and to speak during our ceremony. 

On a side note.... Every summer, a sort of tug-o-war happens in my wardrobe.  On one side, are novelty prints, circle skirts, and petticoats.  On the other side, leather jackets, boots, chaps, and helmets.  Then there is me, caught in the middle.  This weekend, I think it's clear to see that the leather won.  Today, though, is a different story.......

She Knits in Pearls
I sure know how to make a helmet look good, right?
Behind me there are bikes for as far as you can see..... That's pretty awesome!!
Memorial Day Motorcycle Run
Lisa Murkowski, speaking during the ceremony.  I don't know how she does it.  Each year her speech is moving and powerful and never gets old or feels repetitive.
Fallen Warriors Ceremony
Fallen Warriors Ceremony. The "Cross" is known as The Fallen Soldier Battle Cross and is a symbolic replacement of a cross on the battlefield for the soldier who has been killed.  Made up of the soldier's riffle with bayonet attached stuck into the ground, helmet on top, dog tags sometimes hanging from the riffle and the boots of the dead soldier nest to it.  It's purpose is to show honor and respect for the dead at the battle site.
Last year, I stood with the other wives and friends of the Alaska Vet's  MC and it cause my back to cramp and spasm something fierce.  This year, I decided to sit.  Thank you to the Alaska Bush Riders Group for clearing me a seat.  And thank you for help with the bikes, road sandwiches and water.  You guys were were awesome to have around!!
Alaska Veterans Memorial
After the ceremony, we took a few pics with the Navy part of the memorial, in honor of my man's service (and also, my cousin served in the Navy).
Alaska Veterans Memorial
Words cannot express how proud of my man and his service to our country and our freedom. Ian served in the Navy from 1999-2005 and was on the first ship to launch missiles on Afghanistan after the 9/11 attack on the World Trade Center. I may not support every war that we are a part of, but I will always support our soldiers and all of the sacrifices they (and their families) make for us.  THANK YOU!!  And thank you to the Alaska Vet's MC for putting on an amazing weekend and ride and welcoming me into your family.  I love you all.

Now, I'm off to curl my hair, put on my prettiest novelty print circle skirt, and get ready for another semester of school.  Let's do this!!!!

XOXO,
Cherry 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10