Pages

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Dead Air and Silver Linings

I am so very sorry for the dead air here lately.  I had made the goal for myself awhile back to blog twice a week, on Wednesdays and Sundays and have been silent for over a week now.  Unfortunately, my world just got turned upside down and I am now in the middle of moving.  Before I get into the negative, here's the view from my new home.
She Knits in Pearls
I am now on the Chena River, with a steam wheeler boat docked out front.  How amazing is that?  The view from my last apartment was the parking lot of an abandoned K-mart building. 

Now on to a bit of the negative, but I'll try not to wallow or cry on the keyboard too much.  The reason for this move and it's urgency is that my last apartment complex became infested with bed bugs.  NOOOOOOOO!!!  I didn't even know that we had gotten them up here in Alaska (there are many little creatures that we don't have). 

This is a nightmare for anybody, but for a vintage loving, yarn obsessed knitter with borderline hoarding tendencies, it's down right devastating.  Every single entire thing in my home must be bleached, washed and dried (3X in dryer to get hot enough), steam cleaned, dry cleaned, or put in storage so that it will freeze this winter in order to kill them and not bring them into our new home. 

That's the moon in the sky as the sun is rising.  I'm so happy with the view.

It has been a week now since our creepy discovery (and a week since I've slept well), we are still cleaning, packing and moving.  It is a slow road because of how thoroughly we must clean everything before it can be moved.  I'm so sad to see the majority of my yarn stash go in to plastic bags to spend the winter outside.  Not to mention ALL of my hand knit sweaters and such that must either be dry-cleaned or sent outside till they reach cold enough temperatures for a long enough period of time.  Truly heartbreaking.  I would have loved to get it ALL dry cleaned, but that is just not financially feasible.  As it is, my laundry and dry cleaning bill is over $300 so far. 

On the bright side, looking for silver linings here, this is the first home Ian and I have moved into together.  It is not my place or his place, it is ours.  We are taking this opportunity to pick out bedding, bathroom, and kitchen stuff together.  It's starting to feel like our new place is really OUR place.

I'm sure there are other silver linings and I will be sharing them with you over the next month or so.  For now, I just wanted to check in and tell you all what is going on and why I'm not writing.  I'm not ready to get back to twice a week.  Heck, I don't have enough crafting time right now to warrant two posts a week.  However, I will do my best to do some writing at least once a week. 

XOXO,
Cherry

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10