Pages

Monday, August 11, 2014

Hem it up. A great way to change the look from drab to fab.

1940's style She Knits in Pearls

I haven't done too may outfit posts before, but every now and then an outfit deserves a bit of attention. This is one of those outfits. I'm in love with this outfit and how it all came together. First lets start with the dress. It didn't always look like this. When I found it, while rummaging around the Salvation Army in Anchorage, it was about a foot longer. It definitely looked like it was from a past decade, but more like something from the late '80's early '90's. Not exactly (at all) the time frame that I am drawn to. But I saw it's potential. The button up front, that beautiful red and white floral pattern, and the fitting silhouette reminded me of something more 40's in style. For $6 bucks, I took a chance and brought it home to hem. The difference is amazing, just changing the length of this dress completely changed the look.

1940's style She Knits in Pearls

Those shoes were also a great find from Value Village. They are red genuine leather Mary Jane's from Nordstrom's. They are so comfortable and such a great quality, I can't believe anybody would want to get rid of them. Oh well, their loss is definitely my gain. I wear them all the time.

Vingage Style She Knits in Pearls

I've been working on my vintage hat collection for some time now and this one is by far my most favorite. I love the deep navy blue, little netted veil and dainty red roses. I really love that I get to wear the hat AND do my hair. I love fixing my hair and often opt not to wear hats because I don't like being lazy with my hair. With this hat I can do my bangs in a lovely barrel roll and I got to try something new with the back of my hair. This is my very first Gibson roll.

Vintage style She Knits in Pearls
I could use a bit more practice and with a hat like this one, I think I'll be doing just that.

Now with the hair, hat, dress, and shoes, it was feeling a bit like a costume, or something for a themed party. I'm not a vintage purist by any means. I respect those who are, more power to ya, but it doesn't work with my personality (or my wallet)I much prefer mixing yesteryears fashions with my own unique style. So, I decided to pair this with my, also thrifted, faux leather jacket to give the whole ensemble a bit of a feminine edge. I think it all works quite nicely together. The perfect outfit for a day spent with a wonderful friend exploring new antique and thrift shops.

Vintage Style She Knits in Pearls

Kisses to you all. Thank you for reading and until next time, keep creating!

4 comments:

  1. Following! Seeing your gibson makes me want to grow my hair out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I love trying new things with my hair. This will take a bit more practice but I'm working on it.

      Delete
  2. You look sensational!!! Would you believe it, I've never owned a leather jacket before. It's true! Seeing how fab you look in yours here though is making me think that I might just have to squeeze one into the ol' wardrobe someday.

    Big hugs & many thanks for your wonderfully nice comment on my VOH outfit post this week,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, thank you Jessica for stopping by my blog. I squealed with joy when I read your comment. You are such an inspiration to me. I have found several faux leather jackets at my local thrift stores for fairly good prices, they are a great way to add a bit of "bad-girl" edge to a "good-girl" outfit.

      Delete

01 09 10