Pages

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

WIP Wednesday: and a Knitters Confession

This weeks work in progress is an extension of last weeks need for a drunk knitting project. Last week, I came up with a simple knitted head wrap comparable to a bandana that is super easy (so it goes well with cocktails) and serves as a stylish cover for pin-curls or the dreaded bad-hair day.

Vintage Knitting She Knits in Pearls

This one was made with Dream in Color Smooshy, it's a lush sock weight yarn that happens to be left overs from one of my favorite pairs of socks.

So, this weeks WIP is another version made with some left over yarn from my Que Sera Cardigan. Not only is this proving to be a great little project for those evenings that call for a glass (or 3) of wine, it is also great to take with me when I have a days worth of errands to run that include extensive time in waiting rooms, or time to kill in between appointments. Such was the case yesterday when I cast it on in the waiting room of my back surgeons office and continued working on it later, while I waited till my physical therapy appointment.

Knitting She Knits in Pearls

I'll be tweaking this project as I go and will share the final pattern with you all soon.

I have a confession to make. It's not really a secret, I've mentioned it occasionally on my blog before, but never actually wrote about it in any depth. I AM A SELFISH KNITTER. Recently, I had a fellow knitter and friend tell me that she feels guilty if she knits something for herself. I damn near spit my mouth full of wine out and all over her! I couldn't believe my ears, what the hell was she talking about??? She proceeded to tell me that all of her knitted goodness goes to her kids and family, this way all the time spent knitting, that she enjoys greatly, is not just for her sanity but also benefits the whole family. Her sanity (which in my eyes, is up for debate) also benefits the whole family. I just don't understand this at all. I spend so much time with my knitting, I become connected to it. My products are a part of me and I have a very hard time parting with those pieces of me. I know how much hard work and time went into everything I make, and I value and appreciate them accordingly. I don't trust others to appreciate and treasure things as much as I do. The proof of this I see each time I am in a thrift store. I can't count how many times I've found a hand made scarf, mittens, hats, and even blankets that someone decided they didn't need or want even though someone else cared enough about them to make said item. It just breaks my heart. I think a part of me would die if I ever saw something I made for someone in such a state (never mind what I would do to that person).

A basic drive for any crafter, no matter what their craft is a desire to 'Make All the Pretty Things', I take it one step further. I want to KEEP all the pretty things!! I cringe every time some one says "Oh, that's a lovely sweater. Could you make me one?" After seeing the look on my face, it's usually followed by "I could pay you." I then usually explain to them that the sweaters I've made have taken anywhere from $30 to $150 in yarn alone and usually take me 3 weeks to 2 months to accomplish but average about 80 hours of knitting time. So, what's my time worth? To me, it's priceless and that makes my sweaters priceless. And that's why they are MINE!!!

Now, I'm not totally heartless, I will knit for others when I see fit. Firstly, I have no problem knitting for my mom. I mean, come on, she's my mom and she's awesome. Need I say more, no, but I will. She's also a fellow knitter, so I know she will appreciate and properly care for everything that I make her. I enjoy sharing that part of me with her. She also reciprocates, I can't count how many things she's made for me. Lookie here, see that WIP bag that I'm using? Yep, made for me by her.

Knitting She Knits in Pearls

Secondly, I don't mind knitting for my daughter. Now that she's in her teens she sees the work and love that goes in to my knitting and knows that the work and love is an extension of my love for her. I beam with pride each and every time she goes into her closet and choses to wear something that I have made for her. I've even designed items for her and named them after her. Check out my blog post about Amber's Cape and you can get the pattern HERE. I have also been known to knit for the occasional baby. Mainly because I can usually use up the odds and ends in my stash and it's cheaper than buying the same things in stores that everyone else is buying for the little bundles of joy.

So, all in all, I'm not so selfish that I won't knit for others. I will knit for those I see worthy. However, for the most part, all those pretty things that I make, they are mine. ALL MINE.

What's your take, my friends? Are you selfish with your crafts? Do you have any knitting or crafting confessions? Fellow blogger Brandy of ,Stitched up in Toronto is having a link up with other bloggers. If you have any confessions to make, let's get them linked up.

Until next time, don't be afraid to share your darkest creative confessions, you are not alone.

Cherry

5 comments:

  1. I'm with you!! I have a hard time when people don't wear or care for the items I've made them. A lot of heartache could be saved if the said friend would just tell you instead of stowing it away in a closet or worse, throwing it away...A lot can be said for those who are KNITWORTHY :) Beautiful head-wrap, I have some Smooshy that I'm trying to decide what to make with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was definitely on my knitting confession list (yes, I have a list). I am really really selfish with my knitting. And I only offer to make things for really close friends or family. If they buy the yarn, first. So you are definitely not alone with this confession! Thanks for joining the link up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also a selfish knitter, but mostly by circumstance. People just don't ask me to make things for them - perhaps they're too intimidated? I do knit gifts for my boyfriend and my closest friends, but I'm always the one who gets to decide who gets what when. No one gets to impose on me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in my selfishness. I have come to the decision that I will only knit for those who I deem worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need a pattern for that awesome hair wrap!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10