Pages

Friday, December 19, 2014

Steinway Hat - A Quick Gift Knit

Quick Knit Gift - She Knits in Pearls
 
 
I haven't been able to share much knitting lately as most (ALL) that I have been knitting lately has been gifts for people who read my blog.  Well, at least I hope they do.  This is really killing me cause there are some doozies that I am just dying to share.  One really, but as my mum is my biggest fan and number 1 supporter, I can't share it until after she opens it up on Christmas morning.  And, hopefully, sends me a few pictures of her with it.  *Hint, Hint Mom*
 
However, from all that I gather, there is absolutely NO evidence that my boyfriends dad has ever set eyes on my little corner of the internet.  So I feel safe that I can share this one with you guys.  This is the Steinway Hat designed by Heidi Marie Robinson and is a FREE pattern over on Ravelry (you don't need to be a member to get the pattern).  This was pretty quickly knit up using a fluffy yarn and size 8 needles.  I used a wonderful skein of MANOS wool clasica in Hunter.  This is a single ply, handspun pure wool that has been kettle dyed.  The single ply and large needles coupled with an extremely springy stitch pattern make up this super squishy, insanely warm and quick gift hat. 
 
A few things to note about this pattern.  First off, it calls for a cable cast on, which is not one of my favorites.  Not because it's particularly hard, but it's a bit time consuming compared to the long tail cast on.  It is also insanely twisted.  I mean that literally!  I always laugh when any pattern cautions to "make sure stitches aren't twisted when joining in the round".  Well, no shit!  Unless you are doing a Mobius pattern, that should be a no brainer.  Why do you need to state the obvious?  I stand corrected, when doing the cable cast on you SERIOUSLY must be careful.  These cast on stitches twist around your needle like the stripes on a candy cane and do not like to straiten out.  With a little help from Cupcake (sarcasm) I got it all worked out and away we went.
 
Knitting Helper - She Knits in Pearls
 
The second issue I had with this pattern is the chart for the decrease section.  Thankfully the pattern is also written out because the chart version is absolute bullshit.  Seriously, I appreciate that this was a free pattern and a pretty simple one at that, but if you don't know how to chart a pattern, then DON'T DO IT!!  There were too many issues with it to name them all, so I won't.  I'm no chart writer but I am a decent chart reader and on the very first row of the chart I realized that it made no since.  After, of course, I tried to follow it for half a row.  It took me a while to realize that it was the chart and not me.  I keep trying to revert to the chart (I prefer working from a chart) thinking I was past the problems but, nope, they just kept coming.  In the end, just ignore the chart for the decreases and work from the written pattern.
 
All in all, this was a quick (1 day) knit that makes a perfect gift for that guy who is impossible to shop for but could always use a warm hat, made with love, on a cold winter day.  I'd love to model it for you but it's a little big on me.  Plus, I'm getting ready for a holiday gathering tonight and there is no way in hell I'm putting this on over these victory rolls.
 
Victory Rolls - She Knits in Pearls
I have 1 more knit I should be able to share in the next week leading up to the big day.  If, fingers crossed, I get it done in time.  It's the last of my knitted gifts and with 6 days left I remain hopeful that it will be done in time.  I, as always, am very happy to be able to hand make my gifts.  However, I will also be very happy when it is over and I can again knit for myself without deadlines. 
 
Happy Holidays,
Cherry


No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10