Pages

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Vintage Pajama Party - Part 2

Vintage sewing She Knitsw in Pearls
 
Well, I may not have completed the whole pajama set, but I did finish the pants (and that was no small feat).  I mentioned previously how much of a royal pain in the arse this fabric was to work with and from that last post, things didn't get much easier.  Not only did I have to use 110 pins on each little seam or the fabric would slip and slide all over the damn place, but I must not have had the right needle for the job in my machine because every 6-8 inches it would snag the fabric causing an ugly run. 
Vintage sewing She Knits in Pearls
 
This waist band was an interesting detail and a total surprise.  The top of the pants wasn't visible on the pattern envelope so I had no idea what I was in for.  I love the way the finish product looks but I did alter the way it all went together quite a bit.  First off, they were going to be WAY too tight.  Oh, they would have fit, but not comfortable at all.  What's the point of P.J.s being too tight.  Considering there is no stretch to this fabric, I knew I'd never wear them if I didn't try to fix that issue.  I ended up taking 2 out of the 4 pleats on the back out.  This would have messed with the waist bands original construction so I knew I'd have to improvise.  Considering the original construction called for 2 button holes on each side, with one flap being drawn through 1 button hole before being buttoned, I was A-OK with changing that.  I ended up sewing up one side completely and using snaps on the other side for closure.  It's a little bit strange, but snaps are a whole lot easier than that crazy button closure.  There's no way in hell I could get in and out of those during the mid-night trip to the bathroom!
 
She Knits in Pearls
 
These are perfect for Cupcake and I lounging by the tree while I work on my Christmas knitting.  Although Cupcake was a bit nervous at first.  This fabric is a bit too slippery for her liking as well.  All in all I'm happy with the final result, but currently, I have absolutely NO desire to make up the top!  I can tell you I do not have the skills to work up such an intense pattern in THIS fabric.  Maybe after the holiday season I'll feel differently.
 
Thanks again to Carla from Tiny Angry Crafters for hosting The Vintage Pajama Party.  I had a lot of fun and stepped out of my sewing comfort zone to work from my first vintage pattern.
 
 
XOXO,
Cherry


No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10