Pages

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Five Favorites - February

Alright, so I know it's technically March now and I'm a day late but as I was working on this post yesterday I had a surprise visit from an out of town friend and my day got hijacked.  So better a day late than never.  Way back in November, I had the idea of doing a monthly "Five Favorites" to share with you some of the things I am loving each month.  I had all the best intentions to keep it going and have even had lists made up on a few occasions.  In December, I did so many other posts based on lists, plus I wasn't at home during the end of the month that I decided that yet another list post wasn't the best idea.  January was absolutely crazy on my end.  I ended up with a crazy cold AND started school again.  Unfortunately, the blog suffered greatly and again, no Five Favorites post.  Well, the wait is over.  I was actually able to get my shit together, take pictures and actually post them in a timely manor (sort of).  It's about damn time. 

Being February and the month of Valentines day, a lot of things that I have been loving this month are red.  If you've known me for a long time or in real life, this shouldn't be a big surprise.  Black and red have been my main wardrobe staples for many years.  It has only been in the last year that I have finally come out of my red and black shell and discovered that other colors look good on me and that I can actually wear them.  But not this month, this month has been all about the red and black. 

She Knits in Pearls - 50's style

1.  This lovely 80's does 50's dress was way more 80's when I bought it for a whooping $5.99 at Value Village.  It was about 7 inches longer in the skirt and the sleeves were elbow length.  I saw the potential in it and spent an afternoon with the sewing machine.  This was supposed to be my Valentines date night dress but due to that massive migraine I was only able to wear it to school one day and again to run errands another day.  It's a little boring, being all black, but I figure that just means I'll have many styling options and be able to change it up with different belts, sweaters and accessories.

She Knits in Pearls - vintage sweater

2.  Speaking of sweaters to go with my new dress, I also found this amazing 1940's vintage sweater from an Australian company at Value Village.  It's 100% wool so it's a little scratchy, but the stitch pattern and overall shape is just to die for.  There's one tiny hole under the arm but other than that it's just perfect.  I am so in love with it, I can see me wearing the hell out of it until it finally gets too warm for a wool sweater.  

Cherry Brooch - She Knits in Pearls

3.  This amazing cherry brooch was a Christmas gift from my boyfriends mother Melissa.  It could have easily been a favorite for December or January as it has been an almost permanent fixture on my jacket since the day I got it.  Here it is on an fabulous wool blazer I got on my trip to Nevada.  I'm sure it will make the Five Favorites list just as soon as it warms up a little bit more and I can wear it more often.

red wine brooch

4.  While I'm wearing the cherry brooch on my winter coat, I'm still prone to wearing a little pin on my sweater.  This cute little rhinestone wine glass has been affixed to my cardigans a lot lately.  My mom and I picked up this tiny gem at an antique mall in Reno, Nevada.  I had never been to an antique mall before.  Holy cow, that was awesome.  Mom and I actually went there twice and saw so many new things the second time around, it was that big.  Me being a lover of red wines, I knew immediately she had to come home with me.

She Knits in Pearls
   5.  On my last Five Favorites, I shared my mug warmer that I had gotten.  Since I got that genius invention my tea consumption has gone through the roof.  I usually have 3-5 cups of tea a day.  I've been trying out a few new ones lately and this one is just delicious.  I have to stop myself at 2 cups so that I don't overdo the caffeine and sometimes that is hard.  I find a lot of teas I need to put sugar in to really enjoy them, but this one doesn't need sugar to bring out the flavors.  It's perfect all on it's own.  If you are a tea drinker, I highly recommend this one.

I'm happy to report that I'm settling in to the school routine well and have altered my daily routine so that I'm doing a little work every day.  It seems to be helping me to keep the headaches at bay to limit my online and offline reading to shorter increments.  Unfortunately, it means that I haven't been able to totally keep up on my blog roll.  I apologize to my fellow bloggers for not being present lately.  Even if I'm not commenting, I'm still reading when I can and love all dearly.

XOXO,
Cherry









No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10