Pages

Thursday, March 19, 2015

That's It, I quit, Moving on

It's hard to admit, but not every project is a success.  Every now and then a pattern or a yarn, or a combination of the two have been able to get the best of me.  Usually, I'll quietly rip out the project, hide the pattern in the depths of the trash, not let anyone know and move on.  Only the dog hears the tirade of cursing or violent sobbing that happens more than I'll ever admit to.  Thankfully, Cupcake keeps my secrets and guards my tender ego with all of the loyalty that a 6lb Chihuahua can manage.  But today, she doesn't have to keep my secret safe because I'm taking it upon myself to spill the beans.
She Knits in Pearls

Look at all that lovely knitting.  All those hours and hours of meticulous patterning that will again be ripped out.  Yes, AGAIN!!!  This is the third time I have gotten to this point, or close to this point and had to rip it back or completely out cause it's just not coming out right.  I just CANNOT get gauge!!!  And I'm tired of trying.  This has been 2 1/2 weeks of my knitting, all for nothing (except headaches and tears).  The most frustrating part is that I did a gauge swatch and it was spot on.  With the recommended needle size (US6), I dutifully did my swatch and was pleasantly surprised that it matched.  I should have known it was too good to be true.  I almost never get gauge with the recommended needle size.  I usually have to go down 1, if not 2 sizes. This time I got gauge on the recommended size, knit up half of the back THEN realized that I was off.  After ripping back, I did another swatch in the next needle size down.  That one was spot on too.  So again, I started knitting away, all the way up to the arm hole shaping.  DAMN IT!  It was still too big.  Third time's the charm, right?  Down another needle size and gauge looked great.  But what the fuck do I know, my gauge has supposedly been on all along? So what the hell happened?  Was it midterms looming, a neurotic Chihuahua, or a sick baby of a boyfriend driving me nuts and in turn making me knit tighter than normal?  Maybe there was 1 too many glasses of wine (or vodka) effecting my ability to read the numbers on the tape measure?  All of these, unfortunately are valid possibilities. 

She Knits in Pearls

It's so pretty that I just hate to give up.  But honestly, I don't know how much more abuse my delicate little (huge) ego can handle.  Three times is enough for me.  Three strikes and this sweater is OUT.  Maybe I should have taken it as a sign that I couldn't even get the post-it's that usually keep track of which row I'm on to behave.
Knitting Fail

What row am I on here?  No really, WHAT ROW???  I figured it out, eventually and that would have been ok if it only happened 1 or 2 times. It did not happen once or twice, it happened every time I took my eyes off the damn pattern.  Did I piss off the knitting gods?  I kept my promise years ago that I would never, ever use Red Heart Super Saver, ever again.  I have not broken my vows, why do you forsake me?

I'm not ready to give up on the yarn, it will be my next sweater.  Just not in this form.  I also have not given up on the pattern.  Hell, I paid for the pattern, I will make it work, eventually.  I really am that stubborn.  For now, though, I'm putting it away in a time-out on the naughty shelf along with the other patterns that have pissed me off.  I swear I will, someday, make those patterns my bitch.

In between the 2nd and 3rd tries on this damn thing I took a break from it, hoping to regain my mojo.  I really had thought that I had shaken off the bad knitting juju when I successfully completed this awesome vintage-inspired turban.

Vintage inspired turban
 
 
Last Friday, the lovely, talented, and always inspirational Theodora of Theodora Goes Wild  published the free pattern Herringbone Lace Turban.  It is written for a DK weight yarn, but considering I didn't have (couldn't find) any in my stash and I was IN NEED of a new quick project immediately to help me redeem myself, I wasn't about to let that tiny detail stop me. Because obviously yarn weight and gauge aren't important at all, right (see my knitting fail above)?  Thankfully, in this case, it worked out alright.  Better than alright, I love it.  It is a bit thick and I will most likely be wearing it during the winter months.  So, of course, here comes spring.  Not that I'm complaining about spring, I will never complain about spring!  Just yesterday it was 47 degrees, hallelujah.  That's not too shabby when just a month ago it was -40.  All in all, I will definitely be making more of these.  This could become my go-to project whenever I am working on something that needs a short time out.  Or, maybe not, considering I still got that damn pattern all messed up, even after this project. But I will not put the sins of the sweater on to this innocent little head wrap.  For today, she is my ego's savior. 
 
Today, I'm turning my silent knitting tragedy into a public comedy in hopes to keep my chin up and move forward.  Something about laughter being the best blah, blah, blah, whatever.  I think it may be working?  What do you do after a self-inflicted ego punch?
 
XOXO,
Cherry 


No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10