Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

One love over another

s1600/tattoo+coverup+001.JPG">




If you know me, you know that two of the things I love in my life are knitting (obviously) and my tattoos. The issue that I'm having right now is that, in my new job/career I am having to dress a bit more conservative than I'm used too. Being a bartender for the last 5 years, tattoos where never a problem. In fact, they were an asset that I'm sure have influenced many many tips. Now, working in the health care profession, specifically with the elderly, they have become more of an issue. They aren't asking me to cover all my tattoos and they aren't telling me that my tattoos are bad, but they are nervous of how our residents will view me because of my tattoos (which I don't entirely disagree with). So, they have asked me to cover up my wrist 1/4 sleeve. Ok, I'm sure I can do this. I have a few options, I could A) Where long sleeves under my scrubs (but as the weather is getting warmer, that could really suck) or B) Where a wrist brace ( then I get asked "What happened?" a million times and I have to explain the whole situation or C) I can cover up 1 love (tattoo) with another love (knitting). So, that's what I've decided to do. I've only made one wrist cuff so far and today I will wear it to work and see how it goes. I envision making a bunch of these and trying a few different yarns. I would just love to have a different one to match each of my scrub tops. Today is my first day on the floor interacting with the residents. I'm so excited as this has been along time coming. I'm also scared to death, but I'm sure that will subside when I get out there and am able to jump in with both feet and do the job I have been trained to do. The job that I WANT to do, that I feel very passionate about.

My knitting time has been drastically reduced in the last 2 days because for the last 3 months I've been unemployed, and now I'm working full time. I'm sure that I'll miss having all that time to knit but I'm going to really enjoy finally being able to afford the yarn I want. The knitting will continue.....

Yours knitting: 3.5
Total so far: 20.5

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the start of your new career! I hope your first day went well. I've been doing my job so long (nearly 23 years now) that I've nearly forgotten that thrill of doing something brand new. Maybe that's why I love knitting so much....there's always something new to learn! My daughter shares your love of tattoos and in the past faced the same issues you're now dealing with. I love your wrist cuff solution...so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Sweety that is a nice one. I've got some fingering yarn that is calling me to make one for you. It is in light tourquoise. It might take longer to knit since it is fingering! I'm so proud of you...but you should know that by now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girlie - how big around is your arm at your wrist, and then how big is it up more towards your elbow? I think I have a great cuff in mind...
    sis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool!!! Same thing happened to me when I had a labret lip piercing and I was a cashier at a grocery store. They asked me to take it out or cover it with a bandaid. It wasn't until a woman in her 80's came in my line and asked, "What happened to your chin?" and I told her what they had asked me to do, and she said, "For god's sake, tell those tight-asses to get a life, it's 2003!!!" I thought that was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10